In some situations, maintaining dental health requires the use of more invasive methods. Oral surgeries are one of those methods. Both preventative and treatment options exist to protect dental health. For those who know they need oral surgery in Houston, our team at Lovett Dental Cinco Ranch offers the resources you need to ensure the best possible results.
Examples of Common Types of Oral Surgery
Many oral surgeries are available to fit most dental needs. When working with your dentist and oral surgeon, you’ll learn more about the available procedures right for the condition you have. Here are some of the most commonly used procedures.
- Wisdom tooth extractions. The wisdom teeth are located at the very far back of the mouth and don’t emerge until the early 20s. However, they tend to be an infection- and disease-prone, which is why most dentists encourage their surgical removal before they emerge as a type of prevention.
- Dental implant procedures. A dental implant is a small, metal device placed into the bone in the jaw to support a crown in creating an artificial tooth. Once in place, the bone grows around it, making it very strong. This enables a highly natural bite. Implants are a type of restorative procedure for missing teeth.
- Jaw surgeries. In some situations, the jaw, especially the TMJ, may require surgery to fix structural problems or other concerns. These conditions often cause significant pain and discomfort. Treatment can help alleviate that pain and improve function as well.
- Tooth extractions. It may be necessary to remove one or more teeth in some situations due to tooth decay, improper positioning, or other reasons. Extractions may need to be completed surgically to ensure the full removal of the tooth with as little pain and damage as possible.
What to Do If You Think You Need an Oral Surgery
Oral surgeries are often very safe to complete. The key is to work with a true oral surgeon. These professionals are board-certified and have extensive training in surgical procedures. Meeting with them for an assessment is one of the most important first steps. It can help determine if there is a need for surgery and what type may be best. Dentists often work to minimize the type of treatment needed to ensure the least invasive, but the most effective treatment is always used. After a consultation, you’ll know all of your options and what steps to take to improve your smile.
Getting Started with an Oral Surgeon in Houston
For those who require oral surgeries, meeting with our oral surgeon at Lovett Dental Cinco Ranch may be your first step. During this consultation, your surgeon will complete x-rays and an exam to understand your needs fully. Depending on the procedure, you may be asked a series of health questions to ensure you’re healthy enough for the procedure.
Then, you’ll learn what you’ll need to do before, during, and after treatment to ensure the best possible results. Sometimes, other needs need to be met before procedures can move forward, such as dealing with infections or bone grafting for implants. These are services we offer in our offices as well. Take a look at some of the other procedures we offer:
- General dentistry services
- Pediatric dentistry services
- Cosmetic dentistry services
- Periodontics specialists and providers
- Sedation dentistry specialists
Improve Your Smile at Lovett Dental Cinco Ranch
Oral surgeries can be one of the most important investments you make to protect and improve your dental health. Our dedicated team at Lovett Dental Cinco Ranch can help you maintain your smile using the most modern methods. Learn more when you set up an appointment by calling 713-244-7799 or connecting with us now online.