When clients call or come into Lovett Dental Cinco Ranch, they sometimes start the conversation with, “I have a dental emergency.” That puts our staff on notification to prioritize the client and get them in to see a dentist as soon as possible. If you need emergency dental services, you do not have to wait for an appointment. However, it’s a good idea to call ahead, if possible, so we can get ready to treat you at our office in Katy, TX.
How Do I Know I Have a Dental Emergency?
Some clients like to play by the rules and hate the thought of bumping another client out of their slot. However, if you have to ask yourself if you have a dental emergency, you probably have extreme pain or discomfort. This classifies as a dental emergency and you will need emergency dental services.
If you want to ensure that your condition qualifies as an urgent situation, contact our office and we’ll discuss your symptoms and what led to the call. Then, we can suggest one of the following courses of action:
- Come to the office right away.
- Make an appointment for the next available slot.
- Treat your dental emergency with one or more DIY remedies.
- Go to the emergency room for immediate care.
How to Tell if I Have a Dental Emergency
The first step involves assessing physical damage. Broken, chipped, or cracked teeth qualify as an emergency and move you to the head of the line at our dental clinic. If biting down on a tooth causes pain, we want to see you right away. Infections in your mouth cause pain and can impact your overall health. Signs of infection include inflamed gums, fever after a mouth injury, and an acrid taste in your mouth following trauma.
With routine checkups and regular teeth cleaning, you can avoid most dental emergencies. We also suggest wearing a mouthguard to prevent common sports injuries. No matter how careful you are, you might still end up contacting us. That’s one of the reasons we open early, close late, and offer services all day Saturdays.
Types of Emergencies
The following conditions represent dental emergencies:
- You have an abscess. Some patients describe the taste of a gum abscess as one of the worst tastes imaginable. An abscess occurs when your body tries to heal itself and the gums become infected, resulting in sensitivity, pain, and swelling. This is a potentially life-threatening condition.
- Something knocks out a tooth. In certain cases, we can replant a tooth that gets knocked loose. Don’t touch the root and rinse off the tooth without scrubbing it. Place the tooth in a container and come see us immediately.
- Your tooth is loose. While young children get loose teeth to make room for new ones, a loose tooth may point to a dental emergency in adults. You may wonder, “If I have a loose tooth, do I have a dental emergency?” stop by our dental office.
- Facial Injury. If you injure your face or jaw, you may need emergency medical assistance prior to seeing one of our dentists. If so, call 911 or go to the emergency room right away.
- Extreme Teeth Pain. When you have extreme pain, that’s an emergency.
Contact Lovett Dental Cinco Ranch
Whether you have a dental emergency or need cosmetic dentistry or pediatric dentistry in TX, our qualified team at Lovett Dental Cinco Ranch is here for you. Contact us at 832.662.3059 for more information on our premium dental care in Katy, TX.