The causes of receding gums vary. There is often a great deal that you can do to increase the health of your mouth. In some cases, however, the cause of receding gums is not something that you can control. Regardless, by addressing your oral health needs earlier, your overall health can improve. Lovett Dental Cinco Ranch is here to help you keep up with all of your oral health needs and provide the general dentistry services you need to keep your mouth healthy.
Causes Of Receding Gums You Can’t Control
Even if you have excellent oral health habits, there are still factors beyond your control that could make you more likely to have receding gums. These include:
- Genetics: Some people are simply genetically predisposed to having poor oral health. This can include receding gums.
- Hormones: Females have hormones that fluctuate throughout their lifetimes. Puberty and menopause are just two of these times. It is during pregnancy, though, that many women who never had oral health issues first experience this condition.
- Clenching and grinding teeth: Whether you clench your teeth due to anxiety and stress or you grind your teeth at night, many people with this habit are unaware that they do it. However, it can put a great deal of pressure on your teeth, bone, and gums. This can cause gums to recede.
- Misaligned bite or crooked teeth: If you are born with a misaligned bite or with crooked teeth that do not meet evenly, too much force can be placed on the bone and gums. Your gums might recede as a result.
Causes Of Receding Gums You Can Control
There is a great deal that you can do in your everyday life in addition to getting regular teeth cleanings to promote good oral health. Taking control of your oral health can protect your smile and give you a healthier body as well.
- Using tobacco products: If you smoke or use oral tobacco products, you are more likely to have receding gums. Stopping the use of all such products can go a long way toward improving your oral health.
- Practice good oral habits: Brush your teeth at least twice each day. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles that allows you to easily reach all tooth surfaces. Floss at least once per day, even if your toothbrush is advertised to reach in between teeth.
- Eat well: Everything you eat or drink has the potential to affect the health of your gums. Focus primarily on eating a well-balanced and healthy diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables. Keep sugary drinks and foods to a minimum.
- Visit your dentist regularly: Keeping to a regular schedule of dental visits allows a professional to thoroughly examine your mouth, tongue, gums, and teeth. If there are signs of receding gums, your dentist can discuss the issue and provide treatment options.
Even if you have causes of receding gums that you cannot control, there is a great deal that a dentist can do to stop the progression of this common dental issue. The key is to monitor your mouth and be aware of any changes that occur within it.
Contact Lovett Dental Cinco Ranch
Lovett Dental Cinco Ranch provides comprehensive dental care with a multidisciplinary approach. In order to provide our patients with excellent care, we provide six types of specialty care including:
Contact Lovett Dental Cinco Ranch today at 832.662.3059 to learn more about the services that we provide for both general dentistry and emergency dental services. Do not wait until it is too late to take care of your teeth. Contact us today!